Transferring course or institution 

Transferring between courses can be a major change to both your life and your course, especially if you are moving to a different University in a different town. We therefore advise: be sure that a transfer is the right solution for you! If you are unhappy with your course, do talk to your course tutor; if you are unhappy with where you are, the Student Support counselling service may be able to help; if you are thinking of transferring due to financial difficulties, the Student Advice Centre can advise you on whether there are other options.

Level 3, 4, 5, and Masters students: act early if you want to transfer course or module within Staffordshire University. The new Academic Regulations make it unlikely you will be able to transfer more than three teaching weeks into your course/module. See the section titled, "Changing my course or optional module".

It is important to find the right course to move onto. If you are transferring to a different institution, check their prospectus and talk to the person who would be your new course tutor to make sure their course is right for you.You will probably have to apply for the new course via UCAS. If you are transferring within Staffordshire University, ask to speak to someone about course information via the University Student Hub (Stoke) or  Information Points (Stafford or Shrewsbury).

If you are looking elsewhere

Always get confirmation of your place on your new course in writing. The relevant agency: Student Finance England, Wales, Northern Ireland, or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland will require confirmation of your acceptance onto the new course. Always talk to the relevant agency before doing anything final: they can be a very useful source of information.

With some courses you will be required to repeat all or part of your current year. For others you may be able to transfer directly into the next year. Your new award tutor will be able to inform you about this. Details of who you need to contact are usually available in the prospectus or via the relevant University’s homepage.

Funding Implications

Transferring your course or institution can have funding implications.  Generally direct transfers ( for example, from the 1st year at one institution into the 2nd year of another institution) will have the least (if any) impact on your future funding entitlement.  If you will need to repeat any part of your course, or have undertaken previous study, this can reduce your entitlement to full student funding.

Therefore: before you make the decision to transfer, it is very important that you contact either the relevant agency or the Student Advice Centre to check if you will still be funded (student loan, tuition fee loan, grant) for the entire length of the course you will be transferring onto. 

We proudly represent the academic interests of all Students at Staffordshire University. Providing advice, student groups and fantastic experiences that make us all very Proud to be Staffs.