Housing Deposits

Housing Deposits are sometimes called “bonds” and sometimes called “damage deposits”, which is misleading because they’re not just about damage.

Our guides on the left will tell you what you need to know about deposits. However, please do ask us questions if you want to know something they don’t cover.

Important Extra Information

If you have or will be getting an Assured Shorthold Tenancy signed after April 6th 2007 or for which the landlord took a deposit after April 6th 2007: see both the rest of this guide and either click here for the government's web information on the new rules for deposits in Assured Shorthold tenancies or come to the SAC and pick up a copy of the red leaflet titled “Tenants – keeping your deposit safe” published by the Department for Communities and Local Government.

Having problems with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme?

If that problem has happened because your Landlord failed to protect your deposit, click here for access to information from NUS including their deposit recovery pack.

Living in Stafford Borough? Click here for the council's tenant information pack, which is a comprehensive guide for tenants, and has a section on tenancy deposit schemes.