Can I leave?

Unless either your housing contract or the law itself gives you the right to break the contract, you are bound by the contract. This means that, even though you can leave any time you want (because you aren’t a prisoner), you might well have to carry on paying the rent. So, the first thing to do is check whether you can end the contract. To do this, look at:

What the contract says:

  • Do take the time and trouble to actually read your contract: it might contain valuable information about if, or how, you the tenant can bring the contract to an end.

  • If you think you’ve found something in the contract that would allow you to end it, check it out with an Adviser – contracts aren’t always as clear as they look.

What the law says about your type of contract

If national law gives you more rights than your contract, national law applies. See our guide to Housing Contracts for what the law says about your rights to end different types of contract; and what extra rights the University gives you if you’re living in a University Hall of Residence.

Usually, the law won’t help you end a contract for a fixed term (one where you have rented a house for a fixed number of months or between two fixed dates) but will explain how you can end a contract with no fixed term (one where you pay rent but there’s no set date on which it ends and no set number of months you signed up for).

If you think you’ve found something in the law that would allow you to end your housing contract, make sure you’re right - check it out with an Adviser.

If you’ve found a solution by taking the above steps, good – use that solution. Otherwise, proceed to the next section (left) for other ideas.