What else can I try?

If you can’t find a suitable legal or contractual way to end the contract, there’s some other options…

You could try to find another tenant:

If you find someone else who’ll take over paying where you left off, a reasonable landlord would usually be prepared to swap one paying tenant for another.

You could try offering the landlord money:

Make an offer less than the remaining rent you’d have to pay under the contract but more than a pittance; to ‘buy your way out’. This offers the landlord a gamble on the basis: “if you find another tenant quickly, the money you get off me now is extra profit; if you don’t, you lose some money but not everything”.

Does your landlord own other properties?

If so, you could ask if there are any spare rooms in other houses s/he owns and whether you could move to one of those rooms: if the landlord can keep you happy without losing money, it’s good business sense to do this.

You could just try pleading with the landlord:

Although landlords are business people wanting to make a profit out of their houses, they’re also human beings.

The house is in a bad state of repair:

If you want to end the contract because the house is in a bad state of repair, see our guide to repairs: it might be possible to enforce repairs and, if the house is in a truly horrendous condition, it might be closed down.

Problems with housemates:

If you want to end the contract because of problems with housemates, could mediation be the answer? In University or Unite accommodation, the housing provider might mediate. Misconduct by your housemates is not your landlord’s fault and, as a result, is usually not enough to end the contract.