Are you due a refund? (TV Licence)

Sorted next year’s uni accommodation. What's next? You may be entitled to extra holiday spending money in the form of a TV Licence refund.

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.
tv licence refund graphic

Since 1 April 2017, TV Licensing has changed the way refunds are calculated to make it easier for customers to apply.
This means more students will benefit from a refund as they can now claim for any full months left on their licence.

If you bought your licence last October and moved out in May, you could receive a refund worth around £48.50.
In order to qualify, you need to be leaving halls or rented accommodation and be moving to a licensed address.

Applying is simple and can be done online or over the phone on 0300 790 6113.
You will need to have your TV Licence details to hand and evidence to show your licence is no longer needed, such as a copy of the end of your tenancy agreement.


Pay in a way that suits your cash flow

Ways to pay - pay in one go Pay in one go - You’ll make a single payment of £159 every 12 months.

Ways to way - pay every three months Pay every three months - You’ll make four payments of £41 (includes a £1.25 charge) over the year.

Ways to pay - pay monthly Pay monthly - You’ll spread the cost of your first TV Licence by paying £26.50 a month for six months. After that, you’ll pay £13.25 a month.

Direct Debit logo You can pay by Direct Debit, credit or debit card - It’s easy to set up a Direct Debit. You’ll need your account number and sort code to hand.


Get a refund if you move out early

However you pay for your licence, you could get a part-refund if you live in student accommodation for less than 12 months.