Nominations – 22nd January to 25th February
Candidate "Training": 25th February to 8th March
Voting – 19th - 21st March Vote here: www.staffsunion.com/representingyou/leadershiprace/about
Results – 22nd March at 18:00
FULL TIME OFFICER POSITIONS
- Full-time officers work for a year to lead the Union as their full-time paid jobs.
- Start training subject to availability straight after the Easter break and have a two week handover period with the outgoing officers, ready to take office from 1st July 2019.
- Last year there were 21 candidates for the 4 Student Officers position available.
- We no longer elect our Student Trustees, this is now an appointed role, but people can find information about applying at the Leadership Race page
Why should students vote?
- Every vote counts: This is very cliché but previous elections have come down to just 8 votes. Our Pagan Society has more members than that. Our venues will serve more people than that in 5 minutes when it’s busy.
- Do something about it: Every student has an opinion on everything at Staffs, if you don’t vote you lose that chance to have your say.
- Everyone is different: We have a very diverse University; if students don’t vote then views of smaller groups go unheard. The University is still going through a huge transition and it’s crucial that every student has the opportunity to make their voice heard.
- Officers to great things: over the years, the impacts, or “wins” from Officers have shaped students’ experiences at Staffs. If students want more of this, they need to choose the best candidates to do the job! See some wins at www.staffsunion.com/representingyou/studentwins
How to vote:
- Voting is by Single Transferable Vote (STV) this means that students can choose a list of candidates in order of preference of who they want to win. Students can choose as many preferences as they want to, if there are 20 candidates, they can choose 20 candidates (but don’t have to).
- Students can vote on any electronic device and will have instructions in their inbox on how to vote.
- If somebody is interested encourage them to vote online or in the Student Space straight away. There will be a polling station on Union Reception and in the Student Engagement Department as well as additional polling stations through the SU and campus.
Can I recommend a student for the Leadership Race?
- Yes, you can! If you head to the Recommend a Friend page on our website, and fill out the form, you can nominate a student who you think would be a great Students’ Union leader.
- You can opt to anonymously nominate the student if you would like, so they will receive any positive comments but will not know who they are from.
- If you nominate a student or know a student running in the Leadership Race, you will still need to ensure to promote the election as neutral.
- For example, please avoid sharing individual election/promo posts from students on social media, using both professional and personal accounts. Another example would be emailing students that you teach to promote another student on their course/within their school who is running in the election. Both examples would give particular students an unfair advantage, so ensuring to keep promotion of the election as neutral as possible would be necessary.
What to do if students can’t vote:
- If a student can’t vote, go to www.staffsunion.com/canivote and get them to type in their student number. If this tells them they are not eligible then they may not be able to vote in this election. If there any further or different problems email: firstname.lastname@example.org
No elections are currently running
Live Voting Statistics