person
keyboard_arrow_down
shopping_basket 1

Better Staffs Forum

Our forum approach is to broaden the input from students and make decision-making more accessible to the membership. Each forum is supported by elected students, who are there to source student views and represent you. Those views are passed onto a panel of students before each meeting who vote on changes.

This approach is there to encourage all students to get involved in student democracy and understand the power of your vote.

Meetings

Next meeting is 29th Nov 2017 @ 1:30 - 3:30pm, Location Collision Space, 5th Floor Mellor Building. We will announce our future meetings on our Twitter and Facebook, so keep an eye out there.

Previous ideas and their results

Two linked proposals regarding a better choice of Vegan food on Campus

Proposed By: Daniel Donnelly-Phillips and Fee Wood

Outcome: Officers had carried out some initial research and were able to advise on the number of choices available in our outlets. Confirmed with the university that although they always have a vegetarian option they currently do not offer a vegan option but would be willing to consider this if there is a demand for it. Darren took the issue to the NUS who confirmed that they would investigate a wider variety of meal deals with a view to include gluten-free and vegan options.

Next Steps: Jaime to arrange meeting with Venue Managers and Kyla Lawton.

MM to advise Adrian (Catering Manager) of outcomes to see if we can get catering to commit to a vegan option

Updates: Agreed Mike to liaise with Keith to publicise vegan options available at Squeeze.

To discuss feasibility of further traffic controlling measures on College Road

Proposed By: Nicholas Heywood

Outcome: Agreed there was a need and Union should pursue with the council.

Next Steps: Ben to take forward.

Updates: Ben has discussed with the Council and will be arranging a 2 week monitoring of traffic to allow them to assess on a points basis if further measures are required. Simon Stone (Campus PC) is also contacting them and Ben will copy in Nigel Price (Head of Health and Safety) in on his correspondence with the Council to hopefully get the University to lobby also.

Latest: Council will be conducting early in New year so there won’t be an update from Ben until then

To improve communications around car parking so students are advised prior to enrolment and can make an informed decision as to whether or not to bring their car

Proposed By: Callum Holland

Outcome: Agreed students present flagged up particular difficulties for students living in Halls on the main campus who can only park at Clarice Cliffe.

Next Steps: Darren has collated complaints around Car Parking to raise with Linda Degg (director of estates and commercial services) and will incorporate this in to his report. On 20 October Darren met with the Campus Transformation Board and presented this report to the board. Darren will now be meeting with Margaret Monckton (deputy chief executive) and Linda Degg to discuss this in more detail.

Updates: Linda Degg has committed to confirm arrangements for 2017/8 by May 1st 2017 and to take on board all the student feedback collated by Darren when reviewing arrangements for next year. Darren has asked Linda for a short statement that we can use on line.

To improve the DVD loan service in the Library

Proposed By: Sam Pillow

Outcome: Agreed to lobby for an extended loan time of 1 week and to allow on line renewal as they do with book loans.

Next Steps: Swetha to contact Information Services.

Updates: Sam Pillow To improve the DVD loan service in the Library Agreed to lobby for an extended loan time of 1 week and to allow on line renewal as they do with book loans Swetha to contact Information Services Request submitted to University Oct 19th- awaiting a response.

Final: Swetha has followed up with the library and all one day loan stickers have now been removed:

“Since the beginning of this semester all our loanable DVD’s have been changed to 2 week loans.

We also now have a system in place of automatic renewals up to 26 times, unless an item has been requested. In this case the student would receive an email in their student email account asking them to return the requested item to the library. All other items on their account would still continue to renew”

The changes were already planned so we can’t take all the credit but certainly Swetha following up with the library has clarified matters for the student and improved the process

Proposed that the regular timing of the Forum be changed to 4pm

Proposed By: Daniel Donnelly Phillips

Outcome: Proposal failed. Agreed that there is no timing that would suit all, some students have lectures beyond 4, others have family commitments (caring responsibilities, school run etc.).

Next Steps: N/A- but will continue to vary timing of Forum as in previous years.

Proposed that the Mental Health and Wellbeing Society become a network

Proposed By: Daniel Donnelly Phillips

Outcome: In the absence of the proposer or any members of the Society and with no consensus from the students present the Panel felt they had insufficient information to take a vote.

Next Steps: Lyn/Kate to set up a “Network Special” inviting members of the society and the liberation networks.

Agreed at meeting: Liberation Networks to remain in place (long discussions about historical origins, NUS position, disadvantaged groups striving for equality etc.) Proposal to set up 5 “Sections” * in line with but not replicating exactly the NUS model: Mature students, Part time students, Post Graduate Students, International Students and Students with caring responsibilities.

At the time of the vote there were 24 eligible voters of whom 21 voted to take the matter to referendum

Final Outcome: Referendum to take place as part of November By elections

Proposed that the Liberation Networks be renamed Equality and Diversity Networks and that further networks be created for groups of students such as Post Grads and Mature Students

Proposed By: Daniel Donnelly Phillips

Outcome: In the absence of the proposer and with no consensus from the Liberation Network members present the Panel felt they had insufficient information to take a vote.

Next Steps: Lyn/Kate to set up a “Network Special” inviting members of the society and the liberation networks.

Agreed at meeting: Liberation Networks to remain in place (long discussions about historical origins, NUS position, disadvantaged groups striving for equality etc.) Proposal to set up 5 “Sections” * in line with but not replicating exactly the NUS model: Mature students, Part time students, Post Graduate Students, International Students and Students with caring responsibilities.

At the time of the vote there were 24 eligible voters of whom 21 voted to take the matter to referendum

Final Outcome: Referendum to take place as part of November By elections

Proposed that a Transgender Network be set up

Proposed By: Fi Wood

Outcome: In the absence of the proposer and with no consensus from the Liberation Network members present the Panel felt the matter should be deferred and that the decision needed to be made by LGBT+ students not them.

Next Steps: Land the liberation networks. Agreed that it would be useful for the Networks to discuss this further in the interim

Agreed at meeting: A secret vote took place and of the 22 valid votes cast there were: 9 For 10 Against 3 Abstentions

In the event of the above proposal failing the LGBT+ network proposed extending their committee to include a TG+ member

21 votes were cast- all in favour of creating the additional position of a Trans+ representative as an equal member of the committee

Final Outcome: Student Engagement/Darren to co-ordinate election of new committee post

See the outcomes for all ideas submitted here

We're always looking for your ideas, click here to submit them to us (Please make sure you are logged in first.)

Tell us your ideas